Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The Morgue

Considering all things, it was relatively a brief corridor in time that Uncle Gene and I shared together.  During most of this time he talked and I listened while he painted his stories into my memory.  One such account was his time in the morgue.  Certainly, not something most nine year old have given much thought.  At any rate it was one of those stories Uncle Gene told of his time in the army posted on an island called Okinawa.  Now I had never heard of  Okinawa, but I figured it really existed somewhere in the Pacific Ocean never to be the same after Uncle Gene had been there.

Now I knew that a morgue had to do with dead people, but Uncle Gene gave me to understand that his place had to do with those who had been killed in Korea, and whose bodies needed to be identified before burial.   From "driving tanks" to a "morgue in Okinawa" seemed a little unbelievable, but hey... Uncle Gene could convince you of his facts.

It again was not until years later that the following patch in Uncle Gene's collection was understood.

It was worn by those of the U.S. Army garrison on Okinawa which is the largest Island of the Ryukyus chain.  The figure on the insignia is a torii which is the gate to a Shinto Temple.  The patch was adopted after WWII, certainly in time for the Koren War.  It must have been one of the least favorite of Uncle Gene's memories.

20 comments:

  1. Where can I get one of these patches of Okinawa? I was there in 1966-68 with psyops. Sure would be nice to have one. Thanks, Tom Majors alkalizeu@juno.com alkalizingu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tom...not sure where you might be able to obtain? Have you tried any remaining post on Okinawa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark Honor, who is awarded this medal, is considered the highest honor. goldenslot

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say it’s a delicious post. I will have to add it to my blogging recipes.
    LIC Information

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed reading the tips here and learned a great deal visit my blog to download fb video in legit way
    fb downloder iphone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really very happy to say, your post is very interesting to read. I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job. I will assure you you will receive a genuine absolutely free psn codes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this website so much it's really awesome.I have also gone through your other posts too and they are also very much appreciate able and I'm just waiting for your next update to come as I like all your posts. Playlists in iTunes in OS X Mavericks

    ReplyDelete
  8. ติดตามหนังใหม่ หนังแอนิเมชั่น
    ดูหนังฟรีออนไลน์
    movie2024.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the good information.
    [url=https://movie2uhd.com]ดูหนังออนไลน์[/url]
    [url=https://xn--2024-zeo6d9azcwb2e5c8b5b.com/]ดูหนังฟรี2024.com[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  10. It again was not until years later that the following patch in Uncle Gene's collection was understood.

    ดูซีรี่ย์ออนไลน์
    moviehd2024.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. At any rate it was one of those stories Uncle Gene told of his time in the army posted on an island

    ดูหนังฟรีออนไลน์
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was worn by those of the U.S. Army garrison on Okinawa which is the largest Island of the Ryukyus chain.

    ดูซีรี่ย์เกาหลี
    ดูหนัง Netflix

    ReplyDelete