Monday, November 28, 2022

Llan. . . .

      From Llanaber (p.57) to Llan-y-wern (p.71), Welsh place-names, starting with the letters "Llan", are identified by their geographic locations in Wales. More than 550 sites are located on the National Grid references in the text A Gazetteer of Welsh Place-Names.  The first edition was first published 1957, Second edition 1958, Third edition 1967, and it was reprinted in 1975. Paperback editions were reprinted in 1989 and 1996, and my copy edited by, Elwyn Davies 1967, and its cover is shown.


           Now how did all these names of the villages and towns first get started? This was the question in my mind, especially since "Llan" means "church, enclosure" (glossary p. xxxiv). Also, my Celtic ancestors became involved in the Monistic movement spreading throughout the land 400 A.D.-800 A.D. and, I asked what the connection might be. My conclusions are coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment