Sunday, May 15, 2022

Red Hair/Curly Hair, But Backward

      More than 2000 years ago, this fellow named Tacitus wrote his observations about my Celtic ancestors.  Red hair and large limbs were from Caledonia (Scottish), and curly hair with dark complexion were from the Iberian race (certainly Celtic). The following pictures are from my present-day


Celtic family.  Speaking of red hair! This is my JONES (Welsh/Iberian) family through my Y-chromosome. An autosomal recessive gene carried on chromosome 16. (tagged MC1R) A mutation of this gene is felt to have occurred, which caused it not to be able to breakdown certain chemicals. If one parent carries this mutated gene, it will be expressed when it is joined by another who transmits this mutation. Thus on my father's side both parents (Grandfather/Grandmother to me) must carry this recessive trait.  Can you believe all five children with red hair? Knowing red hair is considered fairly rare among the human race (Scotland around 13%) and Ireland a close second, what is the chance that all in the family would be red headed?

      The next picture is of my mother's (X-chromosome). Curly hair and dark complexion is the norm. Her maidan name was Ewen and, she was one of a dozen! A Scottish surname indeed. 


      Say what? My JONES gene (Welsh) is red headed, and my EWEN side (Caledonia) is curly hair and dark complexion. Did Tacitus get this backward? Well anyway, 2000 years is enough time to mix these genes in a variety of combinations.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment