Tuesday, May 24, 2022

World's End

       It has been difficult to imagine the changes my Celtic ancestors faced during the first 100 years of Roman invasion. [By now you know I have a lot of that imagine thing.] Certainly, many in the family must have thought their world was coming to an end. When finding a map which identifies "World's End", it made me think of the Roman military revolt that came from fear of this very real concern. They were about to be transported to the unknown, and they were concerned about the end of their world. You have seen these maps in previous posts but, my Celtic ancestors lived around this area of the world.


      Looking again around this area, you will see the geographic location "World's End". It is enclosed by the green markings which ends southward toward Old Oswestry hillfort. My Jones family followed this pathway over many generations, much, much, much later. [Long way to go before we get to those stories.] Offa's Dyke is outlined in purple, and Wat's Dyke follows the orange colors. Notice how the two dykes come together near, you guessed it, Old Oswestry Hillfort! Now the following shows an enlargement of this drawing to give you another view of the surrounding named present day names.


      The Vale of Llangollen (the Dee) is central to this location. Many of these locations were involved with my Celtic ancestors, followed by my JONES ancestors. Here is an image that was hand made by the Welsh thread (wool) of Llangollen as I walked these paths myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment