Tuesday, January 11, 2011

16 Candles


Our sixteenth birthday is usually remembered. For me, I could not wait to get my drivers license; on the road, free at last! Perhaps for others the saying "Sweet Sixteen and Never Been Kissed" was the order of the day. For most, it was a mile stone of life, this sixteenth birthday.

The picture to the right shows my Mom at the age of 16 years. What was to be her mile stone? She had just moved from the mountains of Eastern Kentucky (Slade) to of all places Winchester. She started a new school, Clark County High School. She had to make new friends, new teachers, new everything!

Determination...that's it. Her eyes are fixed in that gaze...no real smile...no real frown. Hazel eyes that seem to say I am looking right through you. Jet black hair with natural curl that settles on the shoulders. A small chained necklace hugs the neck. I will make it...here at my 16 candles...indeed she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment